When you find a significant amount of hairs in the shower, it can be a shock. If you recently have had a Mirena intrauterine device inserted, you can suffer from Mirena hair loss. In this article you will read what Mirena is, if it causes hair loss and other things that can cause hair loss.
What is Mirena
Mirena is an intrauterine device system that contains and releases a progesterone-like hormone, which does not contain oestrogen. It is one of the most common used forms of long-term birth control, also it works in heavy periods known as heavy menstrual bleeding for up to 5 years. The system can prevent pregnancy for up to 7 years and is 99% effective. Doctors don’t usually warn people of the possibility of hair loss.
Does Mirena cause hair loss
Alopecia is according to the product label for Mirena one of the side effects. Almost 5 percent of women who receive this device system, suffer from hair loss. There is a Finnish study of women using an IUD that contains levonorgestrel, something similar to Mirena. According to the study nearly 16 percent of participants noted significant hair loss. But another research of New Zealand found that hair loss was found in less than 1 percent of the Mirena users.
Nevertheless, while it is unknown how big the chances are of you losing your hair. It is clear that hair loss is a side-effect of Mirena.
Other causes of hair loss
There are several other factors that can cause hair loss. A few of them we will clarify below:
- Hereditary and genetics; when you suffer from hair loss, that runs among your family members. It is common due to androgenetic alopecia. It often occurs at a certain age, but is treatable with this treatment against androgenetic alopecia. Which tackles the patchy baldness and improves the overall condition of the hair.
- Malnutrition, a lack of healthy nutrients and vitamins; when you lack of certain vitamins and nutrients. There are products that can help to balance it. Neofollics has developed hair growth supporting tablets, that contain the most important nutrients and vitamins for hair growth and help you develop healthy hair.
- Stress-related symptoms, such as a trauma; lactic acid often occurs through stress. It can attack the hair follicle and cause hair loss. It also can cause an itchy and sticky scalp. If you stress often and suffer from hair loss, there is a big chance you suffer from telogen effluvium. Fortunately, there is a treatment that can tackle this.
- Medications; several medications can cause hair loss. When you think that this causes your hair loss, you should read the label of the medicine.
- Hormonal changes from childbirth or after menopause; hormonal changes can lead to hair loss. We recommend to use a treatment that helps you to get rid of the hair loss, and stimulates your hair growth.
- Diseases such as alopecia areata; at this moment there is not a treatment for alopecia areata that can combat the entire disease. But there are ways to decrease some of the symptoms, that cause your hair loss. With the treatment for alopecia areata the condition of your hair improves, hair will grow healthier and hair loss will slow down.
What can you do about your hair loss
As said above there are a few treatments that can help to treat against the causes of your hair loss. Such as treatments that help and stimulate your hair to grow. Unfortunately, there are also some causes for hair loss that can not be treated. Such as trichotillomania, which is pulling of the hair. This is a condition in which a person likes to pull their hair and does this often. People who do this destroy their hair follicle. If the hair follicle gets destroyed than your hair will not grow back. It is the same with people that wear tight hairstyles such as ponytails.
You can only stimulate hair growth if the hair follicle is not completely destroyed. We recommend if you suffer from severe hair loss to use this treatment to tackle the hair loss and improve the condition of your hair. When you suffer from conditions on the scalp such as dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, flakes, redness, inflammation, itching or psoriasis than you could use this healthy scalp treatment. Which effectively improves the condition of the scalp, reduces inflammation, prevents dandruff and itching and it exfoliates and cleans the scalp from impurities and flakes
Mirena is something that can cause hair loss. But not a condition that often causes it. There are several other causes that can cause hair loss and are effectively treatable.