Psoriasis is one of the most famous chronical skin conditions. You can recognize the condition, because of the red and itchy scaly patches, most commonly on the knees, elbows, trunk and scalp.
It is a common, long-term (chronic) disease with no cure. It tends to go through cycles, flaring for a few weeks or months, then subsiding for a while or going into remission. Treatments are available to help you manage symptoms, such as for the scalp we got Neofollics products that effectively help you to develop a healthy scalp.
What is Psoriasis
Psoriasis is a disease that causes red and itchy patches on your entire body. The skin can be dry and cracked, therefore it is likely to bleed as well. Most types of psoriasis go through a monthly or weekly cycle. At the end of the cycle the subsiding or even remission takes place.
There are several types of psoriasis summoned here below:
- Plaque psoriasis; the most common form, causes dry, raised, red skin patches covered with silvery scales. It appears on the scalp, knees lower back and elbows.
- Nail psoriasis; can effect fingernails and toenails, causes pitting, abnormal nail growth and discoloration. In severe cases your nail might crumble.
- Guttate psoriasis; this type primarily affects young adults and children. It is usually triggered by a bacterial infection, such as strep throat. It affects the trunks, arms and legs.
- Inverse psoriasis; this mainly affects the skin folds of the groin, buttocks and breasts. It causes smooth patches of red skin that worsen with friction and sweating.
- Pustular psoriasis; This rare form of psoriasis causes clearly defined pus-filled lesions that occur in widespread patches or in smaller areas on the palms of the hands or the soles of the feet.
- Erythrodermic psoriasis; this type of psoriasis is the least common. It can cover your entire body with a red peeling rash that can burn or itch intensively.
- Psoriatic arthritis; causes swollen, painful joints that are typical of arthritis. In some cases it might, also cause stiffness and progressive joint damage that in the most serious cases may lead to permanent joint damage.
How to see on your nails if you have psoriasis
Nail pitting is a condition that can appear by people than suffer from psoriasis. It can also indicate alopecia areata, arthritis and other disorders in your body and hair.
There are several thing that can trigger psoriasis. They include:
- Infections, such as step throat or skin infections.
- Weather in especially cold and dry conditions.
- Injuries to the skin, this can be a scratsch or a bite
- Stress can cause hair loss but also trigger psoriasis
- Smoking can affect your entire health.
- Heavy alcohol consumption affects your immune system
Psoriasis effects on your hair condition
Scalp psoriasis is a common skin disorder that makes raised, reddish and often scaly patches. It can pop up as a single patch or several, and can effect on your entire scalp. It is also possible that it spreads to your forehead, the back of your neck or behind and inside your ears.
Scalp psoriasis is not possible to get from other people. The cause is not clear yet, but doctors believe that it comes from something that is wrong with the immune system, that causes skin cells to grow quickly and build up into patches.
Scalp psoriasis can be mild and almost unnoticeable. But it can also be severe, last a long time, and cause thick, crusted sores. Intense itching can affect your sleep and everyday life, and scratching a lot can lead to skin infections and hair loss.
Symptoms of scalp psoriasis are: scaly, red, bumpy patches, silvery-white scales, dandruff flaking, dry scalp, itching, burning and hair loss. Scalp psoriasis itself does not cause hair loss, but scratching a lot, because of the itchy feeling can lead to hair loss.
How to combat this condition
If you have mild psoriasis symptoms a treatment with the right products for your hair and scalp can help. The new scalp therapy line of Neofollics contains effective ingredients that exfoliate the scalp and remove sebum build up. It reduces dandruff and flaking of the scalp. Also, microbial activity is being balanced. The itchy feeling, because of psoriasis can disappear as well as the irritation and redness.This means that the symptoms of psoriasis are effectively combatted.
Other treatments to fight against a bad scalp condition or hair loss is the Neofollics Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo is the most effective shampoo to promote hair growth. In addition to the 12 hair growth stimulating ingredients, this shampoo is also nourishing. It soothes the scalp, is effective against dandruff and lays the foundation for healthy hair growth.
You can also undergo phototherapy. Ultraviolet can treat the scalp and if you have very thin hair, or a shaved head, your doctor may recommend that you go out in natural sunlight for brief periods. But because of the side-effects it is recommended to see this as the last surgery for your hair.
When you have psoriasis there is, also a risk that you might develop other conditions that are bad for your body. When you have psoriasis your immune-system weakens and this means other bacteria and infections can more easily enter your body.
- Psoriatic arthritis, can appear which leads to pain and stifness.
- Eye conditions, such as conjuctivis.
- Obesity and type 2 of diabetes.
- High blood pressure
- Cardiovascular disease
And there is a small chance you might develop other autoimmune diseases or menthal health conditions. Such as a lower self-esteem or depression.
How many people suffer from psoriasis
Around the world has according to WebMD (2021), between te 2% and 3% Psoriasis. It differs per culture and worldwide it is most common in Northern Europe and least common in Eastern Asia.
When to see a doctor
When you are sure that you have psoriasis, you can chose to see your doctor. When it becomes widespread over your entire body and the condition is severe, we advise you to see the doctor as soon as possible.
Otherwise it might end up in pain and discomfort. Daily tasks can become a struggle and joint problems might develop, which is something you wouldn't wish to anyone.
Psoriasis is a skin condition that can cause redness, itching and irritation on the skin. There are different types of psoriasis and it can effect different parts of the body. You can combat scalp psoriasis with effective products that suits the scalp.