A yeast infection on the scalp doesn’t normally cause many problems. But when the yeast grows too much, you may develop an infection. A yeast can develop anywhere on or inside your body. This includes your feet, fingernails and scalp. Candida is one of the most common types of fungus that causes infections on the skin and other organs.
In this blog you will read about the causes of a scalp yeast infection, symptoms of a yeast infection and the best treatment against a yeast infection of the scalp.
Causes of a scalp yeast infection
In warm and moist areas candida thrives, but in cold climates you can also suffer from this yeast infection. Sometimes the natural environment of your skin can become unbalanced; this can be done for example, by medical conditions, an unhealthy diet, stress, certain medications and harsh chemicals.
Small cuts on the scalp can also provide an entryway for the fungus to get below the surface. A yeast infection on the scalp does not limit itself to the area of the skin where it arises. It also can spread to the eyes, mouth, the digestive system, bloodstream, bones and internal organs.
The most common risk factors for a yest infections are:
- A weakened immune system
- Skin conditions, such as psoriasis and inflammatory conditions
Symptoms of a scalp yeast infection
There are several signs and symptoms that might point out to a scalp yeast infection. A few symptoms of a scalp yeast infection are red or purple rash, cracks or patches of the skin. It can also give you white, flaky scales and flakes or shedding and soft, white and moist spots.
In addition to these symptoms on the scalp, there are also some that have nothing to do with it. These are fatigue, digestive issues and sinus pain.
Hair loss by an scalp infection
A scalp yeast infection can last for a long time, and result in a lot of flakes and dead skin. If it is itchy and you are scratching yourself you can damage your hair follicles further.
If you suffer from circular patches, which are completely bald. Than you might have an infection that is called tinea capitis. Which is also known as ringworm of the scalp.
Difference between a yeast infection and seborrheic dermatitis
Seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp can have the same symptoms as a yeast infection of the scalp. The difference is that seborrheic dermatitis chance of recurring is considerably higher. If you want to read more about seborrheic dermatitis you can read this article.
Treatment of yeast on the scalp
The best treatment against a yeast on the scalp is using products such as a lotion, shampoo, nourishing mask and other products.
Ingredients that are effective against the yeast of the scalp in these type of products are:
- Piroctone Olamine; this ingredient is also used in the Neofollics Hair Growth Stimulating Shampoo. It works effectively against seborrheic dermatitis and dandruff. Reduces hair loss, stimulates hair growth and allows hair to grow thicker. Research showed that Piroctone Olamine works more effective in some aspects than Ketoconazole.
- Witch Hazel leaf extract; known to have a soothing and nourishing effect on the skin is anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant and wound healing. It has natural effects that are optimal for the treatment of the scalp.
- Lavender oil; is one of the most essential oils when it comes to healing skin conditions, burns and cuts. It has anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-microbial and detoxifying benefits. It can help reduce redness, soothe and calm the skin and rapidly heal minor cuts and scrapes as well as any rashes.
- Panax Ginseng root extract; is originally a Korean herb, that is known to have a protective, anti-aging effect on the skin. It increases the moisture content and inhibit wrinkle formation.
The most effective product of the scalp that contains these ingredients is the healthy scalp treatment of Neofollics. This treatment is effective against yeasts on the scalp as well as on seborrheic dermatitis, dandruff and itching of the scalp. It might also help against some symptoms of psoriasis, lichen planopilaris and folliculitis.
A yeast infection on the scalp can cause hair loss as well as itching and flaking of the skin. Yeast infections are often developing itself due to Candida, which is a fungus that often causes infections. It is possible to treat a yeast infection on the scalp by using products that have an effective working on the scalp.